Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rocky Road



Unfortunately my scales weighed their last bit of flour a few weeks ago before packing it in meaning I have not been able to bake for a while. However there is one substitute that doesn't always require the use of scales and is staving off the baking withdrawal symptoms: traybaking.

I think rocky road has to be one of my favourite traybakes. You only have to look at the ingredients in front of you to know that in just over two hours you will have an irresistable chunk of chocolate satisfaction waiting for you to sink your teeth into.

I like mine made with a mixture of milk and dark chocolate which does not have to be the expensive stuff. This isn't about sophistication or the best ingredients you can find, I hate to say it but it's about pure junk food. To ensure it didn't turn out impossible to slice I added olive oil spread, honey and maple syrup to the melted chocolate because that's what I happened to have in the fridge although just the spread or some butter would suffice. I also topped mine with dessicated coconut, again because I happened to have some.

These came out really well which isn't hard to achieve really because nomatter how wrong the proportions might be, tastewise it's still bound to hit the spot. Chocolate, marshmallows, cherries and digestives - you can't fault the combination!


Rocky road
Makes one 8x8 inch tray
  • 300g chocolate (mixture of milk and dark)
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil spread (reserve the third and add if the melted chocolate is still too thick, I find this differs between chocolate brands)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp runny honey
  • 7 digestive biscuits, crushed into random sized pieces
  • 10 marshmallows, quartered
  • 20 glace cherries, halved
  • 2-3 tbsp dessicated coconut (optional)
Line baking tray. Melt chocolate, olive oil spread, maple syrup and honey together in a bowl. Once melted and combined reserve 75ml of mixture and set aside. Add digestive biscuits, marshmallows and glace cherries to chocolate mixture and mix. Press mixture into baking tray. Spoon and spread the remaining 75ml chocolate mixture on top, and sprinkle with dessicated coconut. Cover and chill in fridge for 2 hours or overnight. Can be kept in fridge for a fortnight but it's so yum that it's unlikely to last that long!

5 comments:

Maggie said...

These look wonderful. You definitely can't go wrong with those ingredients. I love digestive biscuits, they are always in my biscuit tin!

Su-Lin said...

I saw some rocky road at a shop and had to buy a piece (gorgeous stuff) and I have to say yours looks just like it! So good looking! Theirs had edible glitter on it too so it was quite a bling bling rocky road!

chocolate + jasmine said...

Thank you!
The bling bling rocky road sounds fab. Nothing like a bit of glitter and chocolate!

pigpigscorner said...

yum yum! I had my first rocky road at Hummingbird's and it was in a form of a cupcake!

chocolate + jasmine said...

oh my goodness, a rocky road cupcake sounds divine pigpig!