Saturday, January 31, 2009

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits



Finally! The deadline I had been waiting so long for has passed.
Finally! I can catch up on all the foodie blogs I love.
Finally! I can catch up on The Great British Food Fight!!
Finally! I can take the time to cook again!

When I'm studying hard or know I should be, even just ten minutes to make a simple pasta dish feels like an eternity. If I'm not sitting infront of my laptop, I start stressing that I should be, despite the fact that a lot of the time even infront of my laptop I'm procrastinating as opposed to actually working.

I had wanted to write about a Chinese dish I made recently as Chinese New Year has just come and gone. It turned out really well, really delicious. However I kept it on the hob a little too long and certain components ended up looking a bit too worse for wear for photographing. Once I've perfected the dish though you will surely see it here.



Or maybe I should simply stick to the baking! Baked things are without a doubt easier to pretty up and photograph. I baked these dog biscuits after the new year for when I went to visit a friend who only just got a miniature schnauzer puppy last autumn. Incredibly adorable! And very funny! I'm such a dog (or animal) person but as I'm not yet in the position to love my own, I happily adore everyone else's instead.

Hence the reason I made these biscuits! I came across the recipe on Chubby Hubby. They're incredibly easy to make and come out quite soft therefore good for the older doggies too I should think. I did a bit of a google search just to double check because I heard nuts can be poisonous to dogs, but peanuts are deemed a legume rather than a nut so all is ok.

Popped into an empty Ferrero Rocher box (of which there were plenty lying around after Christmas) with a stray ribbon added for cheer, I had a cute little gift for my new little puppy friend.



Peanut butter dog biscuits
Makes many biccies!

230g wholewheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
260g natural peanut butter (I used unsweetened organic)
225ml milk

Mix together the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In another bowl combine peanut butter and milk. Whisk with a fork until it has the texture of a thick milkshake. Add the peanut butter and milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well and knead until it forms a uniformly mixed ball of dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Using half the dough at a time, on a lightly floured surface roll out to 6-7mm or 1/4 inch thick. The dough is very greasy so I found it easier to roll with cling film over the top. Using a cookie cutter (or in my case improvise with a shot glass), cut out shapes and place 2cm apart on a baking tray. Roll the dough scraps together and repeat. Place the unbaked biscuits in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. This is easier if you place them all on the baking tray first. Meanwhile preheat oven to 200˚C.

Remove the biscuits from the freezer and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Fantastic!! I'm sooooo making these tomorrow.

chocolate + jasmine said...

I hope little Marco enjoys them! He is such a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, these are lovely!